Tips on Caring for Jewelry
At VintageDiamondRing.com we have extensive knowledge on the proper techniques for you to care for your antique jewelry and precious gems. There are simple precautions you can take in order to preserve your antique engagement rings, and diamond jewels, to avoid problems that may arise from improper storage, heat and light exposure.
1) It is important to have your jewelry inspected and cleaned regularly by a jeweler you trust and has experience with antique jewelry.
2) Jewelry, especially antique jewelry and antique engagement rings, should be stored separately to avoid scratches and damage. It is best to store your art deco jewelry in a jewelry box or in individual cases/pouches. Always store beaded jewelry and pearls flat and in a soft pouch. Avoid storing pearls in plastic bags, as the lack of moisture will cause the pearl to dry out and decay.
3) Keep silver away from sulfurous metals to prevent tarnish and store in an airtight bag to prevent air from coming into contact with the metal.
4) Clean earring wires regularly in rubbing alcohol.
5) Grease can be easily removed from gold and platinum jewelry by dipping it in rubbing alcohol.
6) After each wearing, gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth to remove body oils and perfume.
7) Always store gemstones in different places. Gemstones such as ruby, sapphire and emerald and semi precious gemstones such as aquamarines are softer than diamond rings. If they come in contact, they may rub on each other and get scratched.
Please...we always tell our customers to never polish antique engagement rings and antique jewelry, its taken so many years to become antique we dont want them to look new!