The Art Deco period is a stylish and distinctive era, well known for its fashionable designs and extraordinary flair. Understanding Art Deco engagement ring meaning and symbolism can help couples decide if a vintage Art Deco engagement ring is the best way to represent their relationship and the romance of their happily ever after.
What You Need To Know---
About the Art Deco Era
The Art Deco design era originated in France in the 1910s, just before World War I, and continued through the 1930s. Representing luxury, modern flair, and glamor, this era embraced social and technological progress with bold lines, sharp angles, and geometric patterns. This was a departure from the more natural, romantic lines of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, which were characterized by flowing curves and the natural imagery of flowers and leaves. In the Art Deco era, distinct steps, chevrons, triangles, and symmetrical sunbursts were featured with precise, exquisite craftsmanship.
The Art Deco period was truly an international phenomenon, embracing influences from not only from Europe, but also from India, China, Japan, Russia, Persia, and other locations and cultures. This helped spread Art Deco designs throughout the world, and the period had a strong and vibrant influence on architecture, fashion, and of course, jewelry.
Art Deco Engagement Rings and Jewelry
Art Deco rings and jewellery are easy to identify by their stark, geometric designs and larger-than-life character. The elaborate designs exhibit mathematical elegance, and often showcase fewer diamonds than other jewelry eras. Instead, colored gemstones such as emeralds, rubies, sapphires, and onyx provided pops of color in Art Deco designs, drawing the eye to these stunning pieces. Platinum was often the metal of choice for Art Deco engagement rings and other jewelry pieces, as the metal has a modern gleam and is easy to work in elaborate designs.
Art Deco Meaning and Symbolism
There is a great deal of symbolism in Art Deco engagement rings, and couples can find beautiful meaning in these pieces to reflect their relationship.
• Geographic Symbolism – Because the Art Deco period originated in France, an Art Deco engagement ring can beautifully symbolize the romance of Paris or other French destinations. Similarly, the international flair of the period can connect to any symbolic location, including areas that showcase stunning Art Deco architecture, such as New York City.
• Symmetric Symbolism – The symmetry of Art Deco designs is ideal to represent the two partners in a relationship and how the ring will be bringing two individuals together into a committed pair. The symmetry also illustrates unity and strength in the construction of a life together, perfect for a couple as they plan for many happy anniversaries to come.
• Color Symbolism – If a couple chooses an Art Deco engagement ring featuring colored gemstones, the symbolism of those colors can be perfect to add a deeper meaning to the ring. The basic colors of the stones could represent romance, passion, peace, tranquility, individuality, or other traits, or birthstones could add even more symbolism to the ring.
• Mood Symbolism – Because the Art Deco period was a time of optimism and energy, an Art Deco engagement ring is an ideal choice for a very positive, optimistic individual with a vigorous, larger-than-life personality. The geometry of an Art Deco ring can also represent a very structured, ordered individual who prefers attention to detail and thorough planning.
• Celebrity Symbolism – Many different celebrities have embraced Art Deco designs in their own engagement rings, including Ashlee Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Olivia Wilde, Scarlett Johansson, and Mary-Kate Olsen. By choosing an Art Deco engagement ring, a couple is in very famous and dramatic company indeed, with a touch of Hollywood and red carpet flair.
Finding an Art Deco Engagement Ring
Many antique and vintage engagement ring retailers offer different Art Deco engagement rings, and Vintage Diamond Ring has a broad selection of these designs ranging from simple but distinctive solitaires to more elaborate, larger rings that boldly showcase the Art Deco era. When choosing a ring, be sure to try on several designs to see what type of ring best flatters the hand wearing it, as larger Art Deco engagement rings may easily overwhelm small hands or slender fingers. Also take care to be sure the ring is authentic in its design and craftsmanship in order to invest in a stunning ring that will stay beautiful and distinctive for many years.
An Art Deco engagement ring can be a symbolic, meaningful piece to represent any loving relationship. By understanding the underlying symbolism and origins of this era and its jewelry, couples can decide if an Art Deco piece is the best option to reflect their love and romance as they start their own era of happiness and togetherness.
Antique Engagement Rings For Everyone
No matter which era is your favorite, these time-honored rings have a rich history and individualized character and will continue to have a timeless beauty and elegant appeal that is part of a legacy to pass on to future generations.
Find The Perfect Art Deco Engagement Ring:
Antique diamond rings are prized not only for their beauty but also for their exquisite attention to detailing and design. If you’re looking for a ring with a sense of glamour, sophistication and vintage charm, explore our collection of Art Deco engagement rings today.