by Suzanne Sachs • 5 min read
Victorian jewelry is rich with romantic symbolism and a Victorian engagement ring can be the perfect choice for a couple to represent their relationship. By recognizing and understanding the symbolism of this distinctive era, couples can more easily decide if a Victorian engagement ring will best represent the depth and richness of their own romance.
What You Need To Know---
About the Victorian Era
The Victorian Era stretched from the mid-1830s to 1900, coinciding with the reign of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (1837-1901). This era was strongly characterized by romanticism and a high regard for virtuous behavior and morality. In terms of fashion, including jewelry, this was shown by lavish
ornamentation with elaborate symbolism. Fine craftsmanship is another hallmark of Victorian era jewelry and engagement rings, and the wistful quality of this jewelry’s symbolism still resonates with modern couples and their romantic relationships.
Meaning and Symbolism of Victorian Engagement Rings
Every Victorian engagement ring has stunning symbolism, depending on the features highlighted in the ring’s design. While not every ring will have every design element, popular features of Victorian era rings include…
• Birds – Elegant and graceful, birds in Victorian engagement rings are symbols of faith, loyalty, peace, and hope, all ideal characteristics to symbolize an everlasting union. Swallows and doves are the most common birds represented in Victorian jewelry.
• Horseshoes and Clover Leaves – Both of these symbols offer protection from evil and give the wearer positive energy while supporting success and prosperity. These are all desirable traits for a couple’s marriage, and can be fine symbols in an engagement ring.
• Flowers – The Victorian era embraced nature’s beauty and botany was a popular hobby, and flowers often appeared in Victorian jewelry. While the exact meaning depends on the specific flower, blooms representing faith, sincerity, and purity are ideal for engagement rings.
• Snakes and Serpents – These graceful reptiles symbolize eternity and wisdom, rich characteristics for any couple to share in their marriage. Queen Victoria’s own engagement ring was a serpent, making a snake-themed Victorian ring a meaningful engagement choice.
• Crescent Moon and Star – Another natural connection, the moon and star combination illustrates femininity in Victorian symbolism. The pair also shows guidance through the changing seasons, which is perfect for any couple hoping to stay together for many seasons of marriage.
• Hearts – These classic symbols of romance are a popular motif in Victorian jewelry and engagement rings. Representing compassion and love through the ages, hearts can be found in many ways, from intricate metalwork and settings to heart-shaped stones.
• Hands – Another popular feature of Victoria era jewelry, hands represent loyalty, strength, and friendship, all great traits for a marriage and lovely symbolism in an engagement ring. The hands are often combined with other features, such as holding a flower or embracing a heart.
• Gemstones – The gemstones that are part of Victorian engagement rings an add more meaning and symbolism to the jewelry. The meanings of different stones, including birthstones, could represent romance, passion, individuality, innocence, and many other character traits.
Choosing a Symbolic Victorian Engagement Ring
With so much symbolism imbued in Victorian engagement rings, jewelry from this era can be a stunning choice for one of the most meaningful rings a couple will share. When considering Victorian jewelry, it is best to view and try on several different rings to see which styles are best, not only for their meaning and symbolism, but to be sure the rings fit well and the design complements the couple’s relationship. With so many different design options from the Victorian era, every couple interested in one of these richly symbolic rings can find a beautiful choice to represent the start of their happily ever after.
Victorian Engagement Rings For Everyone
No matter which era is your favorite, these time-honored rings have a rich history and individualized character and will continue to have a timeless beauty and elegant appeal that is part of a legacy to pass on to future generations.
Find The Perfect Victorian Engagement Ring:
Antique diamond rings are prized not only for their beauty but also for their exquisite attention to detailing and design. If you’re looking for a ring with a sense of glamour, sophistication and vintage charm, explore our collection of Victorian engagement rings today.