by Suzanne Sachs • 5 min read
THE BASICS --
Diamonds may be the most popular and traditional stone for an engagement ring, but they just aren’t right for everyone. No matter what ring style you prefer, you can always opt for a different gemstone for your perfect birthstone ring.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW--
In this guide, we will explain the following:
- Why diamond rings aren't always the best choice?
- Considerations for a birthstone ring
- Timeless appeal
- Matching wedding band
- 10 best birthstone rings
- Birthstone ring symbolism
- Choosing a non-diamond engagement ring
Why Diamond Rings Aren’t Always the Best Choice
There are many reasons why a couple or a bride-to-be may not want a diamond to be the center of attention in the engagement ring. If an individual has had a bad experience with a previous marriage or engagement, choosing a gemstone instead of a diamond is a way to set a new relationship apart and give it new meaning and significance. Gemstones can also harness the creativity and distinctiveness of the couple, and can just be a personal preference over more predictable diamonds.
Some couples prefer to opt for gemstones to avoid any humanitarian concerns that might be raised from the possibility of blood or conflict diamonds and unethical mining practices, or a couple may want to use a family heirloom gemstone as the centerpiece of their engagement ring. Finally, gemstones are often less expensive than diamonds of similar quality and carat weight, allowing a couple more flexibility within their budget if they opt for a gemstone instead of a diamond.
Couples who admire celebrities may also want to emulate Hollywood and royal fashion by choosing gemstones instead of diamonds for engagement rings. Many notable figures have non-diamond engagement rings, such as the stunning sapphire engagement ring of Princess Diana that was passed to Kate Middleton, or the emerald engagement ring Halle Berry wears. Jessica Simpson and Katy Perry have opted for ruby engagement rings, and many other high profile personalities have beautiful jewelry without diamond focal points.
“Suzanne was amazing! I utilized the layaway service and it was a breeze. Ring made its way to Texas and was even more gorgeous in person."
— Chloe G verified buyer
Considerations for a Birthstone Ring
When choosing a birthstone ring, it is important to be aware of special considerations for different gemstones. More durable stones that rate higher on the Mohs scale are best suited to everyday wear through a variety of activities, or else the ring may need to be removed when gardening, cleaning, working out, or doing other strenuous activities that could cause scratches, chips, or damage.
• Timeless Appeal
It is also important to choose a gemstone that will have timeless appeal for the wearer’s fashion sense. If one’s favorite colors change with the seasons, a boldly colored gem may not be the best choice to feel beautiful and elegant at all times. The selection of gemstone engagement rings may be more limited in places, though couples can always select antique engagement rings or vintage rings that feature stunning gems.
• Matching Wedding Band
If it is important to match a wedding band to the engagement ring, take care to choose a gemstone ring style that will mesh well with the preferred band. It can be more difficult to find ring enhancers or wraps that will work well with unique gemstone rings, but it is possible to find a lovely coordinating pair that will be a stunning combination on a wedded finger.
“My experience with Vintage Diamond Ring was so excellent I really had to think about it for a while. First their selection of jewelry is profound. The quality is superior.”
10 Best Birthstone Rings
• Sapphire – Available in blue, pink, yellow, and other stunning shades, this classic precious gemstone is durable for a lifetime of wear.
• Tourmaline – A gentle and romantic stone, tourmaline is a mineral-rich crystal that naturally occurs in an impressive breadth of colors.
• Pearl – While not as durable as other gems, pearl is a unique and memorable choice with its rich luster and symbolism of purity and innocence.
• Garnet – The name “Garnet” comes from a 14-century word meaning “seed-like.” This name references the popular pomegranate fruit, whose seeds closely resemble the color of a translucent red garnet.
• Topaz – A hint of mystery and glamour surround this stone with its yellow, orange, white and blue variations.
• Emerald – A variety of green shades, some with yellow undertones, give this beautifully clear stone rich depth of color.
• Peridot – Peridot comes to the earth’s surface via volcanic eruptions. Miners often find peridot within lava flows and in pockets of solidified molten rock.
• Amethyst – Amethyst is a type of crystalline quartz that has been popular in jewelry throughout the ages. A favorite accent since ancient times, its distinctive, vibrant color has captured the imagination for thousands of years.
Birthstone Ring Symbolism
A symbolic birthstone ring can commemorate the month a couple met, when the proposal was made, the time of the first date, or any other significant occasion.
“I've purchased two vintage rings from Suzanne over the past decade and my wife has loved both. Great service, communication and speedy delivery.”
When choosing a birthstone ring, the most important consideration is to discuss the stone choice with that someone special. Even non-traditional brides may find they prefer a diamond, and it may be best to accent a central diamond with gemstones for a unique look. Be true to your own preferences and style considerations to choose the best gemstone, and be sure to do your research about how to judge different gemstones’ quality and care requirements. With the right preparation, any couple can easily find the perfect gemstone engagement ring to symbolize their happily ever after.
Antique Engagement Rings For Everyone:
No matter which era is your favorite, these time-honored rings have a rich history and individualized character and will continue to have a timeless beauty and elegant appeal that is part of a legacy to pass on to future generations.
Find The Perfect Engagement Ring:
Antique diamond cuts are prized not only for their beauty but also for their exquisite attention to detailing and faceting. If you’re looking for a ring with a sense of glamour, sophistication and vintage charm, explore our collection of birthstone rings today!